“Edward Herndon, planter and merchant, was born September 17, 1799, at Spotsylvania, Va., and died February 2, 1872, at Livingston, Sumter County: son of Edward Herndon and Mary Elizabeth (Sharpe) Herndon, of Cole Hill and Spotsylvania, Va.; brother of Thomas Hord Herndon (q.v.) He was educated under private tutors, and came to Alabama when he was a youth. He became a planter and merchant; owned lands at Erie, Greene County, 1818-1838; moved to Gainesville, Sumter County, 1839; was associated with Whisett Winston and others in the mercantile business until 1844 or 1845; devoted his entire attention to planting near Sumterville, 1845-1866; was elected treasurer of Sumter County, 1868; appointed U. S. census enumerator, 1870; and was register in chancery for Sumter County, 1869-1872.
He was always called major, and was probably on the staff of one of the governors of Alabama. He is said to have been appointed and commissioned to receive and entertain GEN. Lafayette when he visited the United States. He was a Whig until 1860, was a Union man, 1860-1865, and a Republican, 1865-1872. He was a member of the Church of England until 1824, then became a Presbyterian.
He was a Mason, serving as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge, 1839-1841, Grand Treasurer of the Grand Lodge, 1844-1846, Deputy Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter, 1840-1842, and Grand Treasurer of the Grand Chapter, 1845.
He was married to Malvina Ann Cammack, daughter of Robert Cammack and Elizabeth (Chew) Cammack, who lived at Cole Hill, VA. Her ancestors were Scotch, the Chew family having a crest and coat of arms. Their children: 1. Robert Edward Herndon, b. January 25, 1829, d. November 1859, unmarried, was a merchant at Hall’s Bluff, Tex.; 2. Thomas C. Herndon, d. 1906, m. Jane Krumbhaar, Pass Christian, Miss.: 3. Christiana C. Herndon., d. 1878 m. Anthony Winston Dillard 4. Emma J. Herndon., d. 1908, m. Thomas Rufus Underwood; 5. Addison C. Herndon., d. 1897, m. Mary Prades, 6. Lucy Bird Herndon, d. 1840; 7. Samuel C. Herndon. d. 1840. His last residence was Livingston, Alabama.”