“George M. Morrow one of the leading druggists of Birmingham, was born in Elyton, Alabama August 20, 1846. His father, Hugh Morrow, came from Kentucky to Alabama. His father died July, 1889 and his mother, Margaret Holmes died June 1891, the father at 85 and mother 67. George Morrow attended the common schools of his home until he was 16 years old, when, in 1863 he enlisted in the Confederate service, in company F. 7th Alabama Cavalry, under command of COL. L. B. Musgrove. The next year he was transferred to the famous Cavalry Brigade under command of GEN. Joseph Wheeler, and promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant. He fought at Nashville and at Franklin. When he came home from the war, he attended school one year at Elyton, and took up the study of medicine under Dr. Joseph R. Smith.. The following year he attended the Miami Medical College, of Cincinnati, graduating in 1868 and at once began to practice at Ashville. He remained there until 1871, then going to Elyton, where he practiced until 1878. In the latter year he removed to Birmingham and embarked in the wholesale and retail drug business in company with Dr. F. D. Nabers, having abandoned the medical profession on account of ill-health. His career was marked by great financial success, and his warm nature and genial social qualities endeared him to a large circle of friends.
He was married, the first time in November 1868 to Mary E.. daughter of Dr. Joseph and Mrs. Margaret SMITH, of Elyton. They had one child, Margaret J. Morrow. His first wife died in 1873. His 2nd wife, whom he married in May 1874 was Miss Susie, daughter of O. S. Malinda (Nabers)Smith of Elyton. There were four children of the latter union—-Lucy O., Anna Bertha, deceased; George M. Jr. and Frank Morrow.
In Dec. 1890, he was elected Grand Master of the Masonic order of Alabama.
In 1891 he was elected sheriff of Jefferson County for four years. Both he and wife were communicants of the Baptist Church.”