“Henry Clanton Miller was born March 1st 1804, in Danville, Morgan County, Alabama, the second son of Dr. Nathan and Elizabeth Grizelle (Torrence) Miller; his father, a Royal Arch Mason was of Scotch-Irish and German descent from the Virginia families of Miller; his mother’s side was also of Scotch-Irish descent, her family being a branch of the Western N. C. Torrences. His boyhood days were spent in a wholesome atmosphere among a people of sterling qualities and high ideals; he received his early education under the tutelage of some of the best teachers of Alabama, later attending the State Normal College at Florence, and the Danville College. In his early manhood he came with his parents to Birmingham, and soon thereafter married Miss Margaret Brittain, who lived only two years; he was thereafter engaged in teaching for four years and was thereafter appointed Deputy Clerk and Register of the City Court of Birmingham. He continued in that service until he was elected Treasurer of Jefferson County. In 1914 he was engaged in the practice of law in the City of Birmingham. In 1890 he was married to Miss Sara Dagg of Kentucky, a young woman of rare charms and accomplishments, an artist of acknowledged genius, a musician of rare attainments, a linguist of note, and a recognized Queen of the Home, which was blessed with two girls and three boys. Her father and grandfather were two eminent Baptist ministers and teachers who were for many years President and professor in the Tuscaloosa Athenaeum and Mercer Univ., and her uncle Noah K. Davis was for many years at professor in Howard College, while it was located in Marion, and also a professor in the University of Virginia.
Bro. Miller was initiated in Birmingham Frat. Lodge No. 384 on July 18, 1892, passed Aug. 1, 1892, and raised Aug. 8, 1892. On Aug. 8, 1895 he demitted and became a charter member of Myles J. Greene Lodge No. 530; demitted from this Lodge and on Dec. 2, 1898, affiliated with East Lake Lodge No. 480. On June 26, 1900 he was elected Worshipful Master and served as such until 1903. On Nov. 30, 1905 he affiliated with Birmingham Temple Lodge No. 636 and was appointed “Lecturer” and presented with a gold watch and chain…..He received the Illustrious Order of the Red Cross in Cyrene Commandery No. 10, of Birmingham, Alabama on April 6, 1906, the Order of the Temple April 9, 1906 and the Order of Knight of Malta on Sep. 20, 1907. He was a member of the A. A.S.R. for the Southern Jurisdiction, having attained the 32nd degree, and received the degrees of the Rite as follows: Birmingham Lodge of Perfection No. 2, May 20, 1903; Birmingham Chapter of Rose Croix No. 2, May 20, 1903;…..
He was a member of Zamora Temple A.A. O. N. M. S; a member of Electa Chapter No. 16, O.E. S. of Avondale, Alabama…. On March 1, 1907, he was appointed Lecturer for the 10th Masonic District of Alabama. He was active in support of the Constitutional amendment providing for the Masonic Home, and was an active member of the Home Committee until the issue was carried….He was as well versed in the ritual of the first three degrees as any man in this State, and has done incalculable good to the Craft by his many visitations to Lodges. He was one of our most competent and effective workers and was beloved by the entire membership of this Jurisdiction. Bro. Miller passed away March 1, 1935.”